[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Fw: Copyright

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Sat Jul 9 13:39:03 EDT 2005

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 08 July 2005 21:37, Mike Pepe wrote:
>

>>I don't have a problem with Diznee keeping the mouse copyrighted.
>>The mouse represents significant money to them and they actively
>>use it.

	I agree. They came up with it. As long as they are actively using it
they should be able to keep it until the sun burns out. Mickey Mouse is
their trademark.

> The key word is innovation.  Now, if anyone writes a story involving a
> mouse, Disney will exert sufficient pressure to quash the work, and
> another promiseing author of childrens books or such will be flipping
> burgers at McD's.

	Now you are just being silly. Wasn't "The Secret of Nymph" a story
about a mouse? Wasn't there a movie recently released about a mouse ...
Stuart Little!

	I do share your concerns about innovation. But I think that knife cuts
both ways. If other authors were allowed to pen stories about Mickey,
they would have less incentive to create new characters. If only we
could legislate creativity.

					kevin