[Coco][Color Computer]Copyright

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at hotpop.com
Sat Jul 9 13:14:20 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Heskett" <gene.heskett at verizon.net>

> I do have a problem with that, a big, write my congress-critters
> problem.  The founding fathers originally setup copyright to last
> IIRC 17 years, with an optional additional 17 years if the renewall
> fee was paid.  And it had to be actively registered in order to be
> granted the monopoly.  After that the material was to pass
> irrevocably into the public domain.  This kept us in fresh literary
> writings quite well.  It also allowed imitators to innovate without
> fear of being sued out of their homes if they wrote a similar work.
>
> The key word is innovation.  Now, if anyone writes a story involving a
> mouse, Disney will exert sufficient pressure to quash the work, and
> another promiseing author of childrens books or such will be flipping
> burgers at McD's.

My only caveat is that I am sure that the Disnay Corp didn't want to see
obscene derivative works involving their cast of characters, however this
could have been dealt with by establishing a list of particular characters
whose use could be restricted in return for some very high fees paid into
the Federal budget. Instead, the public generously gave this treasure to
Disnay and the only financial benefit went to those critters who were paid
off.

Neil

Yahoo! Groups Links