[Coco] Cloud-9 Product Comments Wanted

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Jan 26 22:53:31 EST 2005

Mark

By hand layout I meant using the manual router within Allegro. When I worked for
Motorola I used Cadence Tools, both the Schematic Capture and PCB layout.
Started using them before the company was known as Cadence. Back in the early
days it was known as Valid Logic, circa 1988. I often used the manual router in
Allegro to do most of my PCB layouts for actual pagers. For my software test
boards I did use Spectra. Actually I did PCB routing on occasiion. It was not my
main function. I mostly  did it do to a period where we had a shortage of others to do
the PCB layout. I am very very familiar with the Cadence tools. I worked with the
Schematic capture program from 1989 to 2001. I remember the first copy of Allegro
that we used was version 2.1. Last I heard they were well beyond version 12.

On a Sparc 10, Spectra routed my software test boards in 45 minutes. The board
measured about 8 by 10 inches and four layers. But for actual shipping products the
autorouter did not do well when it came to EMI performance and really for RF
performance. The CCT type autorouters are bay far the better rou ters, but still in
my opinion they are best for moderately low frequency digital work. Even today's
modern computer motherboards where you have busses at 400 Mhz you need to
impart tranmission line theory into the layout of runners to minimize EMI radiation
and to prevent horrible effects of mismatched loads. At those clock speeds the
runners on a PCB become RF transmission lines. If you don't take care in routing,
the board will radiate like a banshee.

At home, for hobby stuff I use Ivex and have used the tools from PCBExpress.

Surprising enough once you get the hang of a tool and have a good netlist
generated from the schematic, manual layout can be almost as fast as an
autorouter. While it has been about 4  yrs since I  have done professional PCB
layout, It is not unconceivable that the software has improved. Still I prefer to do RF
layout manually with computer programs rather than autorouters.

The Cadence tools are very nice. I do prefer them over Mentor Graphics. Unless
Mentor has changed in the past 3 yrs, it sucks big time. Those guys still think in
terms of the  old Cads 4X systems by Computer Vision from the early 80's.

just my preference

james