[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Re: Blank Emails

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Jan 25 00:20:25 EST 2005

glenvdb wrote:

> Ok, I missed that somewhere. I didn't hear of any window's machines.
> How Many people NOT running Linux or Mac missing this.

Me for one.  I read it through the GMANE newsgroup that mirrors the
mailing list.  I checked the source, and there is no content in the
posts.  So the operating system or the news reader does not matter.

I am not running either Linux or Mac, or Microsoft Windows on this machine.

Have you considered just connecting to the gmane newsgroup with a news
client?

Hotmail used to have a setting to send plain text only.  And possibly
had that settable on a per-address setting.  Has that been removed?

Microsoft Outlook and Outlook express have a setting where you can
designate that specific e-mail recipiants will only get plain text.

There are also many exploits of HTML enabled readers.

Recently one was discovered in a number of platforms that allowed the
HTML to execute simple scripts even when you had scripting disabled by a
carefully crafted FTP URL.

There are two parts to the exploit.

1. The browser passes through escaped control characters to the FTP parser.

2. The ftp parser is allowed to connect to non-standard ports like port 25.

Mozilla 1.7 is not vulnerable to that exploit, but if you are running
something else with LINUX or other platform, check your browser
maintainer/vendor for a recent patch.  At this time, no known patch is
available from Microsoft.  Just make sure that you do not visit sites
that may have malware on them.

-John
wb8tyw(at)qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only