[Coco] was: [...] Japanese?!?, Reply of Hirotsugu

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 8 15:40:26 EST 2005

jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> Torsten
>
> I tend to agree with HIro that no one should  hire a professional
> interpreter to rtranslate these. There are other methods and I am
> not sure as to how much more we can learn.

Where did this next quote come from? I have not seen any recent posts by
Kevin Darling. In any case, the following quote is incorrect!

>>From Kevin Darling's post, I now see where overflow problems can
> come from in the DIVQ instruction. It appears that the quotent is in
> the W register and the remainder in the D register. If the Quotent is
> greater than 16 bits then whamo, overflow! This will happen with a
> very large dividend and a small divider.

Actually if the division would result in overflow, nothing happens. If
the division works, the quotient is stored in regB with the remainder in
regA. Try the following tests and see:

start	ldd	#4326
	divd	#2
	swi
	end

start	ldd	#432
	divd	#2
	swi
	end

start	ldd	#433
	divd	#2
	swi
	end

These can be compiled in EDTASM, run in DEBUG, and the registers
examined. At least you can do it if you have my EDTASM6309. The content
of regD will be $10E6, $00D8, and $01D8 respectively.