[Coco] Re: Path command wasRe: OS-9 LVL II

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Mon Feb 21 16:50:26 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/21/05 6:14:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
goosey at virgo.sdc.org writes:

>It  can't.  The shell that runs startup goes away after the script  is
>finished. Its internal variables, like path, go  away.

But shouldn't Shell+ shells spun off from Startup inherit the ENV vars  from
the parent shell?  I mean shell/window pairs started up in the Startup  file.
If not, then maybe someone (?) could spruce up Shell+ to inherit the
environment vars.  That means more RAM for each running shell, and all that  implies,
but it should be there already in Shell+.

Whenever Shell+ creates another shell proc, it should copy its env table
into the new proc's.
Am I missing something, like this is harder than I think?

>RMA is a different beast from ASM.  From what I've seen they  aren't
>really source-compatible with each other.

ISTR that RMA is oriented towards producing intermediate .R object files,
that have to be linked by RLink into an executable.  Also RMA has limited  macro
capabilities, since it's intended to be used behind C's c.prep macro
expander.

But none of the differences should affect the PATH resolution issues.
--Mike K.