[Coco] Re: Path command wasRe: OS-9 LVL II

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Feb 22 02:55:01 EST 2005

>From: KnudsenMJ at aol.com
>Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:50:26 EST

>But shouldn't Shell+ shells spun off from Startup inherit the ENV
>vars from the parent shell?  I mean shell/window pairs started up in
>the Startup file.

I know what you mean... but I'm not sure if it does that or not.

>If not, then maybe someone (?) could spruce up Shell+ to inherit the
>environment vars.  That means more RAM for each running shell, and
>all that implies, but it should be there already in Shell+.

I still think the cleanest solution is for Shell+ to know about
/dd/sys/env.file  It could look there for PATH, PROMPT, whatever.  Add
built-in commands for setenv and getenv.

Alternatively, I suggest hacking Shell+ to always look for a
initilization file on startup.

>Whenever Shell+ creates another shell proc, it should copy its env table
>into the new proc's.
>Am I missing something, like this is harder than I think?

The really nice, general solution for proper UN*X style environment
variables might be pretty hard.  I'm not sure how hard it would be to
make shell+ realize when it's forking itself and do some special
stuff.

>--Mike K.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org