[Coco] Re: Path command wasRe: OS-9 LVL II

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sun Feb 20 16:25:25 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/20/05 4:59:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
goosey at virgo.sdc.org writes:

>Try  an actual stand-alone executable.  Shell+'s path is just  that,
>shell+'s.  OS-9 doesn't know about it and is going to look  for
>subroutine modules in the executable directory.  Apparently it  looks
>even if they're already in memory?

Yep, this is what I said in my last posting -- OS9's file lookup does not
benefit from all the speed tuning lavished on Shell+.

Even in Linux, in a C program you can't say
    fopen("$HOME/file", ...)
since the OS file opener doesn't do ENV variables like HOME.

As for looking to see whether subr modules are already in RAM, I swear that
Basic09 was really stupid in that regard.  One reason I was glad to get  away
from any serious BASIC09 programming, was the behavior (or lack of it)  around
those subr modules that had to be found, to run graphics or non-blocking
character input (GFX, INKEY).  RUNB especially couldn't figure out what to  do to
find them.  I quit fighting and went to C.  --Mike K.