[Coco] Hobbyist C programmer wanted ;)

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Fri Feb 4 15:38:09 EST 2005

At 11:22 PM 2/3/2005, you wrote:
> > I thought this was a HOBBY !!!!
>
>It is... so even more possibility for 'hurt feelings,' if one isn't
>careful.
>Personally I don't think payment is the best way to do it, though I've
>seen it work, and it might work here, who knows.

Leave it to me to give a completely new perspective on all of this.  ;)

Please read.

While I sometimes oppose to how Goodwill runs their business, taking
everything for free (and making people bring it in) then selling it for
unresearched amounts (sometimes far more than what's it worth, even for
BROKE items), nobody tries to throw a better idea at those guys.  They know
what they are doing, and we keep on giving them our free gas, time, and
spare junk to help them stay in business.  However, there are poor people
who cannot afford to shop in Goodwill.  Goodwill should give those people
free stuff.  That's my take on greed vs. generosity.

The CoCo community is a hobby-based group.  And, what usually works in the
CoCo community is that we contribute our free time to each other to help us
stay together that much longer.  For anybody to come forward and offer any
dollar amount to help get a C compiler for Windows working is unheard of in
these woods and deserves to not be shot down so quickly.

While others have run true CoCo businesses and made significant returns, I,
on the other hand, am on a low budget and I only make enough to keep a web
site online, which takes a lot of my free time.  My entire CoCo venture
from the early 80's until this very minute has been based on free time and
generosity.  It will remain that way.

And so, with that I offer $200, a fresh box of Oreo cookies, and a hot
pizza delivered to your door to the hobbyist C programmer with some free
time who wants to help the CoCo community have a free 32-bit Windows 6809 C
cross compiler.

Have a great day  :)

--
Roger Taylor