[Coco] Expert C programmer wanted

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Fri Feb 4 00:22:58 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 23:10 -0600, George Ramsower wrote:
> I thought this was a HOBBY !!!!

It is... so even more possibility for 'hurt feelings,' if one isn't
careful.

Personally I don't think payment is the best way to do it, though I've
seen it work, and it might work here, who knows.

The best way is the other option that I suggested, that someone just do
a good portion of the work, because they find it fun, which gets the
ball rolling and others pick up any slack. Amazing things like the Linux
kernel, the GNU Compiler, SDCC and many others were created this way,
and it's hard to argue that this model doesn't work.

Anyway, hobby or not, time == $$$ and doing a C compiler port has an
opportunity cost associated with it. If you are working on a big project
like that, you're not doing something else which might provide you $$$
in a more direct way.

-- John.