[Coco] Coco as unix terminal

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Tue Feb 1 16:47:03 EST 2005

In a message dated 1/31/05 9:42:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
alxevans at concentric.net writes:

The  standard says 50'.  I am sure you can get away wit more depending
on  the data rate you are using.  I have had no problems in the past
with  using a 25 conductor ribbon cable serial cable 50' in length at
19200

If you convert the RS232 voltages to Current Loop, you can go even farther,
on twisted-pair conductors.  That's why MIDI uses current loop, though not  to
gain distance, but rather noise immunity on stages full of solid-state
lighting cables and megawatt guitar amps, while running at three times the speed
of any modem (I remember when Bell Labs scientists proved theoretically that no
 modem could exceed 9600 Baud thru a phone line ;-)
--Mike K.