[Coco] Bad news, good news...PARTS!!!

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Tue Dec 13 01:18:26 EST 2005

Hi,

Perhaps I could have supplied this group with free HD's if I had gone to one
surplus place a little sooner. They had just thrown out a huge number of
drives as they had no space to store them and no possibility to sell them.
If they have no customers for stuff, they don't buy it. If they can't sell
it, they get rid of it.

They must keep only the stuff customers will buy if they want to continue in
business. That today is surface mount.

If it is working I expect that it is sent to third world countries. If not,
then to the place in Southern California that built a machine that grinds it
all up and spits out copper, plastic, glass and so on to different bins.
There is a "California's Gold" program that was a real eye opener. I did not
think that a machine could be built to do that.

All in all, the old parts might be available if you are in the right place,
but they will disappear soon.

Most projects will fail because one or two key parts cannot be obtained.
That has always been true for what I wanted to build.

Hoarding old parts does not help, I have lots of parts.

When I first came to San Francisco ~ 1970 I asked at one store on Market
Street if they had any IC's.

They directed me downstairs where I was met with the sight of a huge group
of winos taking parts off of chassis with chisels. The bare metal was the
only thing of value.

Get the key parts and your projects will get done. That today is new parts
like the AD725. Trying to do the same project with old parts no matter how
many you have is just not possible.

Stephen H. Fischer