[Coco] partial OS9 boot from hard drive (back on topic)

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Aug 27 10:21:34 EDT 2005

Vern Burke wrote:

> OS is OS9 L2, the SCSI controller is a TCCC/Cloud 9 unit. The driver is
> TCC512 and, yes, the working floppy boot contains the driver and /h0
> description for the hard drive. I sometimes wish for the old days of my
> CoCo XT and the XT ROM.

OS-9 L2 is your OS after booting OS-9. What is in your Disk Basic ROM?
Is it stock Disk Basic or HDBDOS?

> At the time I got mine, and as far as I know still, there is no
> provision to boot this combination without use of a floppy, or to load
> the boot track or os9boot from the hard drive.

That will depend on what is in your disk ROM.

> I certainly can just make the /dd descriptor the hard drive descriptor,
> the problem is that the boot will not finish with /dd set as working
> directory and /dd/cmds set as execution. The boot finshes up /d0 and
> /d0/cmds and it's a pain in the butt because I have to do a manual
> chd/chx to the hard drive.

That must mean there are some missing OS-9 files on your hard drive.
Does CMDS contain grfdrv? If cc3go (or the equivalent) in your os9boot
file or is it in the root directory of your floppy? If it is not in
os9boot then it must be in the root directory of the hard drive as well
as on your floppy.