[Coco] partial OS9 boot from hard drive (back on topic)

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Aug 27 09:36:40 EDT 2005

Vern Burke wrote:
> Ok, we're straying way the heck off track here :). Lemme lay this out
> again:
>
> What I have to work with:
>
> A working hard drive and SCSI controller with no support for booting
> directly from the hard drive.

Why no support? What SCSI controller and OS? Do you just mean that you
don't know how to set up OS-9 to boot from the hard drive or that your
SCSI OS can't boot from the hard drive?

> A working OS9 boot floppy with /dd and /d0 as the floppy and /h0 as the
> hard drive.

Does this working floppy contain a hard disk driver (hdisk) in the
os9boot file?

> All the standard disk manipulation tools (ezgen/etc, ded)
>
> The goal:
>
> Boot from floppy and finish with the hard drive as /dd, the working
> directory set to /dd, and the execution directory set to /dd/cmds.

Just change /dd so that it is the hard drive. There should be substitute
/dd modules on the NitrOS-9 80T disk or 40T disk 2 for this purpose.

> I will not/can not:
>
> Rewrite BOOT or any other module (I can patch where required, not a
> programmer).
>
> Buy an RS-BASIC replacement.

Meaning what? Again, what disk OS is in use with your hard drive system?