[Coco] The return of StG

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sat Aug 20 21:56:01 EDT 2005

On Aug 20, 2005, at 2:06 AM, Dean Leiber wrote:
> entire network. Kind of a mini internet ;-) All running on the old
> CoCo
> under OS-9. Very neat.

I would not realize how MUCH it was like the 'net until I finally got
true net access in 1995.  StG message areas were in subdirectories,
like:

COMP/OS/OS9 (like newsgroup categories!)

and e-mail was user at system (one word systems, like domain names)

I could send messages to "jim at narnia" and it would net through the
system during nightly transfers until I reached the destination.

The best part was that it was a BI-DIRECTIONAL protocol, so both TX
and RX lights would blaze during the transfer, making it take half
the time other protocols would.  It was very advanced.

         -- Allen