[Coco] The return of StG

Dean Leiber adit at 1stconnect.com
Sat Aug 20 03:06:06 EDT 2005

>I never knew what StG was, but could it be simulated in say, PHP or
>Perl?  I would think so, and a multiplayer version could be born with
>enough people involved or someone with the skills to pull it off.

Well StG was the BBS Software and/or the entire StG network depending on
the context. The individual systems used to connect to each other in a
hierarchical manner so messages/mail could be transfered across the
entire network. Kind of a mini internet ;-) All running on the old CoCo
under OS-9. Very neat.

>My all-time favorite BBS game was no other than, Esterian Conquest.  I
>lived, eat, breathed E.C. for several years and battled it out once a day
>competing just to connect to the BBS for my one-allowed turned per
>day.  Luckily, I could set my modem to autodial until I connected.  That
>space war game pretty much lived in your  imagination because there were no
>graphics, but I think it did show a text-grid with characters representing
>fleets, planets, etc.

I recall a game like that or something very similar, however it was
called 'star trek.' There were a few games for StG but I remember very
few. I do remember 'Guac' (or something similar) written by Alan Sheltra.
You had to avoid the 'Guacamole' (little green square) which would chase
you down while you had to 'eat' all the blue tortilla chips (Blue
square). In those days you had to use ANSI/OS9 codes to move the
characters with constant screen refreshs required.  Don't ask...it was
all based on an inside joke from StG West. Alan's 'Guac' was very spicy
so we used to joke it would crawl out of the bowl and consume the blue
tortilla chips or anything else in reach ;-) So a game was born!