[Coco] Help - There that got your attention.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Aug 13 01:55:02 EDT 2005

On Saturday 13 August 2005 00:56, Dave Kelly wrote:
>I am preparing for the video streaming of the Chicago Fest in 2006.
> I have got a good camcorder working that will zoom and take fairly
> good closeups. I have the microphones and mixer so the demo and
> simanars can be heard. But I need some help.
>
>I can not find software that will upload the captured images frames
>faster that one per second. Currently  I use the image capture
> testing software set at 10 frames per second but it only  uploads
> at 1 capture per second.
>
>Audio needs to be sync'ed somewhere close to video.
>
>At the end of  the fest last year several of you had ask to see if
> real time broadcasting could be achived. I   just not finding much
> and thought I would turn to you.
>
>Can you help? Suggestions. An asprin.
>Dave
>
>PS
>I have been to these places. And many more I did not bookmark.
> Plus discussions in my linux support group since May.
>
>http://www.gnuware.com/icecast/
>http://www.archive.org/
>http://www.metzlerbros.org/bttv.html
>http://www.research.earthlink.net/confmgr/
>http://qnext.com/download.html
>http://www.aboutdebian.com/webcam.htm

I have a Sony Digital Hi-8 Handi-cam, a something 460 IIRC.  The only
way it can upload to the computer in real time is thru firewire, which
works very nicely.  AFAIK, there are no cameras that can upload at
30fps over a usb-2.0 interface.

But, to make something well enough compressed in real time, with
audio synch, is not going to be possible without a quad AMD-64 cpu
and even thats going to be busier than that famous one armed paper
hanger.

I shot an 18  minute & change wedding this summer, which I then
uploaded to the computer in real time and it was nearly 9GB on the
computers drive.

What you want to do in terms of required compression would be similar
to my making a vcd out of it, and after I'd cut the majority of my
shakes out of it I had a bit over 17 minutes of usable video.

I used kino on linux to do the import and editing, neat program IMO.
But to export it to an .mpg file with synchronized audio took about
an hour on an XP-2800 Athlon with a gig of memory.  Another 2 minutes
to further make it into a vcd format, and 5-10 to burn each cd.  The
compression was good however as that 8.something gigs of .avi turned
into 336 megs of .mpg on the vcd.  And it played just fine in all the
dvd players its been fed to so far.   The video quality was excelent
as I expected it to be.  One would have to be pretty picky to see any
diff between the cameras raw picture, and the one on the vcd.

The point being that an XP-2800 Athlon was a wee bit short in the
iron dept to do that in anything resembling real time.

I also have a webcam that can do about 8 frames/sec over usb,
outputting in jpeg format, but the image quality there certainly sucks
the big one.  I would never attempt to use something of that poor a
quality pix for this.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)