[Coco] Help - There that got your attention.

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Sat Aug 13 07:22:12 EDT 2005

At 11:56 PM 8/12/05 -0500, you wrote:
>I can not find software that will upload the captured images frames
>faster that one per second.

Clarify a few points. Do you have video capture set up for your local
computer, via Firewire or another fast port, so you can view or encode the
video in real time?

If you are already set up for capture, do you actually need to upload? In
other words, will you have enough bandwidth at the site to stream directly
to multiple users?

If you have bandwidth, you can use (for example) Windows Media Encoder or
Real Producer. WME is free and has an excellent setup wizard that will have
you streaming live video in a minute, even for a novice user. (I use it on
my Athlon 1.4GHz machine to send video to my wife's computer on my LAN, and
it doesn't even come close to topping out the CPU.)

If you don't have the bandwidth, then I have an old licensed Windows-based
Real Server (from the G2 era) you're welcome to use if your web host allows
you to install it (Windows only install). You'd still need to encode at the
source and have enough bandwidth to get the encoded video to the server
without losing the stream. It's been a while since I used it, but I believe
it will accept an incoming converted stream from any designated IP. (I know
a lot of people don't like Real, including me, but the older products are
pretty good, before they became, um, 'aggressive').

If you're behind a firewall that disallows high ports, then it's back to
the upload question.

Dennis