[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 23, Issue 34

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Fri Aug 12 21:28:14 EDT 2005

    I never had problems with any of my hardware except the cassette port
while running at 2MHz (32MHz clock crystal), although it did shift the
screen over a bit. 2.25 was driving the video too much for my 8515
monitor, and it blew, but the CM-8 handled it somewhat. Like I mentioned,
my one machine still runs at 2 MHz, and I never had problems with disk
access, etc.
    My TC-9 always ran at 2 MHz too, but it was fussier on floppy disk I/O
timings (mind you, it was at stock speed, too). None of the hard drive
systems I tried (B&B or Eliminator) had problems with it.

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:35:55 -0600, <farna at att.net> wrote:

> The big problem with running a CoCo at higher than normal speeds is
> timing for everything else, especially the GIME and disk access. I
> programmed around that in the genealogy program I wrote by poking up at
> the start of the program and poking down/up before/after every disk
> access. There are some advantages to non-multi tasking systems! I don't
> recall if the disk functiuon was fixed in the CoCo3 or there was a hack
> for it, but do recall the GIME having problems over 2 MHz.
>
> --
> Frank Swygert
> Publisher, "American Independent
> Magazine" (AIM)