[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] Hidden 256-color mode

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Aug 10 13:00:41 EDT 2005

Mike

Again I have to reitterate that what maybe included in a prototype board may or
may not appear in the final product. The CoCo3 prototype board may be just that, a
prototype board and may have functions and features that at the 9th hour were
removed. This could be due to hardware not working or that software support of the
feature features causes an over run of memory budget. Designing * bit computers
like the CoCo did not have the luxury of modern PC designs today. MicrosSoft is
blessed that if their operating systems and applications programs get so big they
can just tell the consumer to buy a bigger harddrive and more memory. The budget
for memory usage of systems like the Coco 25 yrs ago were very limited.

Remember when contemplating what features the Coco could h ave or sh ould have
had, th at you have to temper that with the tools and technology of the early 80's.
Today, the Coco 3 can now be done in one chip. That is CPU,  PIAs, sound,  serial
port, VDG and 512K  of ram.

James