[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] Hidden 256-color mode

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Aug 10 13:15:11 EDT 2005

Mike

In a large enough  FPGA you can do the whole Coco 3.

Presently I can use John Kent's 6809 CPU. It takes up 2/3rds of a
Spartan 2e 300K gate part. The GIME is about 70% coded in VHDL.
Not sure but I believe that I can keep it well under 50K equivalent
gate count. That  leaves about 50K equivalent gate count for the
PIAs and the salt chip.

Ram would be external. Thinking of using 512K srams at 20nS
access time. Four chips for a toal of 2Megs. John Kent's CPU runs
at 12.5 MHz. The initial timing data that I am seeing with the early
synthesis is that all logic sections operate at 50MHz or above on the
GIME chip section. That may reduce a bit due to routing issues
when the design is fitted into the FPGA.

If everything goes as hoped, I should have the GIME section coded
by the end of August and start testing it for the next several months.

james