[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] Hidden 256-color mode

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Aug 10 12:46:13 EDT 2005

MIke

Actually it does make sense. The GIME chip can be set to keep
fixed the upper 512 bytes of the memory map as 256  bytes of ram
and 256 bytes of I/O. It is t his 256 bytes of ram that is imporatant.
SInce 320x192x8 requires 61,440 bytes of ram for video the
program that uses 256 colors would have to switch banks of ram to
write to the video ram.

The GIME can utilize two separate task running. One for video ram
writes and the other for the program. The common bond of memory
between the two tasks is located in the 256 bytes of ram located at
$FE00 to $FEFF.

james