[Color Computer] [Coco] Re: CoCo USB

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Aug 1 21:16:02 EDT 2005

On Monday 01 August 2005 19:18, James Diffendaffer wrote:
>--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "George Ramsower" <yahoo at d...>
>
>wrote:
>>  This sounds like I could use it to replace the RS232 connection I
>> have between this XP box and my Coco with a USB port.
>>  Is this correct?
>>  A replacement for the 6551?
>
>There are several ways this can be done with USB.  A USB <-> RS232
>adapter, a USB to USB cable or a USB network adapter.
>The first should be easy to implement, I think the 2nd needs TCP/IP
>and I know the last needs TCP/IP.

I have a serial<->usb adaptor, got it from the shack some time back.
Uses the pl2303 drivers in the linux kernel, but I've never been able
to make the serial end talk to the coco except one character at a
time as I type into minicom with supercomm-2.3 running on the coco3.
Any attempt at an sz or rz file move soon bogs down in overflow &
frameing errors, even when minicom sets the port to as low as 300
baud.

 >Any of these would be much faster and than a conventional serial
>connection and it's just another USB device if you have drivers.
> The Cypress SL811HS (HS = Host/Slave) can support many devices but
> I don't know if the CoCo would be fast enough to keep up with very
> many at one time.  The host CPU can only offload so much of the
> protocol to the chip and the CoCo isn't very fast... yet ;) .
>
>Each of these requires a USB interface and the appropriate USB
> device so it would be more expensive than an old serial cart.
>
>An added bonus is that any new CoCo that runs at higher speeds could
>use the same hardware but drive it faster.  No worries about clock
>speeds and hardware incompatibilities.
>
>>   What chip is that? I tried to find it in recent discussions
>> here,
>
>but I
>
>> haven't been able to find it. I want to see this one.
>
>We mentioned it a few times but with this many posts it's hard to
> find the correct one.  Go to http://www.cypress.com and look for
> SL811HS.
>
>>  Could this work on a hub? That would be a lot of fun!
>
>The specs say "on chip single root HUB support" if that's what you
> are asking???  Not sure what you mean.
>It can support attaching external HUBs and I figured an external
>powered HUB would be a real good idea.
>
>There's also a USB chip that lets a cpu/device communicate over USB
>with what looks like a standard serial connection.  I'm not sure it
>supports host mode though and I can't remember the make or model.
>Google it.

> --------------------~--> <font face=arial size=-1><a
> href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12her02p9/M=362329.6886308.783936
>8.1510227/D=groups/S=1705005378:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1122945510/A=2894321/
>R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
> ">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk
> back!</a>.</font>

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: