[Color Computer] [Coco] Re: CoCo USB

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 1 19:18:26 EDT 2005

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "George Ramsower" <yahoo at d...>
wrote:
>  This sounds like I could use it to replace the RS232 connection I have
> between this XP box and my Coco with a USB port.
>  Is this correct?
>  A replacement for the 6551?

There are several ways this can be done with USB.  A USB <-> RS232
adapter, a USB to USB cable or a USB network adapter.
The first should be easy to implement, I think the 2nd needs TCP/IP
and I know the last needs TCP/IP.

Any of these would be much faster and than a conventional serial
connection and it's just another USB device if you have drivers.  The
Cypress SL811HS (HS = Host/Slave) can support many devices but I don't
know if the CoCo would be fast enough to keep up with very many at one
time.  The host CPU can only offload so much of the protocol to the
chip and the CoCo isn't very fast... yet ;) .

Each of these requires a USB interface and the appropriate USB device
so it would be more expensive than an old serial cart.

An added bonus is that any new CoCo that runs at higher speeds could
use the same hardware but drive it faster.  No worries about clock
speeds and hardware incompatibilities.

>   What chip is that? I tried to find it in recent discussions here,
but I
> haven't been able to find it. I want to see this one.

We mentioned it a few times but with this many posts it's hard to find
the correct one.  Go to http://www.cypress.com and look for SL811HS.

>  Could this work on a hub? That would be a lot of fun!

The specs say "on chip single root HUB support" if that's what you are
asking???  Not sure what you mean.
It can support attaching external HUBs and I figured an external
powered HUB would be a real good idea.

There's also a USB chip that lets a cpu/device communicate over USB
with what looks like a standard serial connection.  I'm not sure it
supports host mode though and I can't remember the make or model.
Google it.

">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>