[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Linux a cousin to OS-9

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Mon Apr 25 13:56:04 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 10:31 -0700, Kevin Diggs wrote:

> 	Isn't charging for NitrOS-9 risky, since it is based on a commercial
> product that capitalistically motivated companies own?

Unless Radisys has patents on aspects of the design of OS-9, there is
nothing to worry about, assuming the NitrOS-9 code is written from
scratch, i.e. not a disassemble and patch excercise, but redeveloped
from an understanding of the OS-9 specifications, and how it works.

It is isn't it? Otherwise it would be a copyright violation, and the
risk isn't dependent on whether you sell it, it's dependant on whether
you distribute it, and whether the copyright owner cares.

All I'm saying is making a "workalike" is not a violation of copyright
but there are cases where it is a violation of a patent, or license
agreement.

-- John.