[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Linux a cousin to OS-9

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Sun Apr 24 18:04:47 EDT 2005

Basil,

Not to continue this off-topic rant, but you toss around Microsoft and
monopoly like it's some kind of "fact".

Microsoft is not a monopoly: Sorry to burst your bubble.

A monopoly was, say, Bell Telephone in the US before it was broken up.
You wanted a telephone? You had to buy Bell's telephone and service or
you yelled out the window; there was no choice. Same goes for Standard
Oil and some of the other classic examples from history. Even your
electric company is a monopoly. (even if it's been "deregulated") That
doesn't stop you from buying a big diesel generator, parking it in your
back yard and cutting yourself off from the grid.

Microsoft was never really a monopoly. If you wanted a computer, you
could buy one. Sure the store-bought machines probably all had DOS or
Windows on them, but Microsoft couldn't stop you from buying the parts
off the shelf and building your own PC without their cruft pre-loaded on
it. You could then be free to load whatever you want, or if you're
really good, write something yourself and run that.

Additionally, Microsoft always had some sort of competition, be it from
Novell, Coherent, IBM, BSDI, or in more recent (heh) days from Linux,
FreeBSD, etc. In that sense they were never a monopoly. No more so than,
say, Microware being the only source of OS-9, or Tandy forcing you to
run Color BASIC when you hit the power switch on your CoCo.

Just because they're big and powerful doesn't mean they're a monopoly.
Nobody from Redmond is pointing a gun at my head and telling me what I
should run on my PC.

-Mike

Yahoo! Groups Links