[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Linux a cousin to OS-9

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Sun Apr 24 16:20:17 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 12:17 -0600, Glen VanDenBiggelaar wrote:

> Ah, ok, open souce...
> I am not a greedy man, but I am not for truely open source anthing. I look
> at it this way- I am not going to spend hundreds of man hours on a great
> project, and just give it away, so another company can swoop in, change it a
> bit, patent it , and make millions of dollars, on a product that I have put
> my whole life into.

So I'm curious, how do you feel about NitrOS-9 and the cc6809 C-compiler
project? Are the authors just a bunch of chumps that don't understand
the free market?

Cooperation happens when all parties benefit from the exchange. I give
code away in a way that encourages (and sometimes requires) you to give
back. Just because no money is exchanged doesn't mean the author doesn't
benefit from his work.

And economic arguments aside, my momma taught me to share...

-- John.

Yahoo! Groups Links