[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Linux a cousin to OS-9

Glen VanDenBiggelaar glenvdb at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 24 14:17:26 EDT 2005

Ah, ok, open souce...
I am not a greedy man, but I am not for truely open source anthing. I look
at it this way- I am not going to spend hundreds of man hours on a great
project, and just give it away, so another company can swoop in, change it a
bit, patent it , and make millions of dollars, on a product that I have put
my whole life into. I am not stating that I chould charge hundreds of
dollars (like microsoft) but a small fee for the item (like the shareware
idea) I don' want to be rich off my software, but just a modest achnologment
of what I had done. I look at the guy who invented Visical. (I can't
remember his name at the moment) hundreds of companies made millions of
dollars off of his work, and to this day he still is working his old job and
didn't make anything off of his software. I am sure Linus T. is in the same
boat, yes his name is famous, but he probably never saw a dime for all the
hours he put into writing the program.

As for you comment on IBM, I was just up looking at IBM thinkpads and
desktops, and I didn t see one that had anything but Windows ship with them.
Servers- yes- have Unix, That doesn't show me that they are 100% commited in
the consumer field.
>Glen,
>
>So your somewhat bias towards Windows.  Well I was going to go the MCSE
>root but felt $11000.00 was a bit high for this education.  If you are
>a techie you would embrace Linux for what it is one of the best Open
>Source Operating System around with a heritage of UNIX .  Windows is
>nothing more than a rehashed bug infested piece of crap personal opinion.
>
>Linux is going mainstream but slowly due in part by Microsofts grip on
>the #$%% of many companies.  Microsoft became what it is because of
>IBM.   BM is 100% behind Linux. Microsoft forced Computer manufacturers
>to install Windows, that has changed  with all the anti-trust  cases
>against  Microsoft even if  the US  sided with Microsoft Europe  never
>did or any of the other Nations .  Microsoft is in trouble even they
>understand the issue with Linux.  Microsoft grip is loosing. They know
>if they came out with a version of Microsoft Office for Linux good-bye
>Windows.  That will never happen of course Microsoft won't let go of its
>Monopoly unless it has to or forced to.
>
>IBM doesn't make that many mistakes it has embraced Linux.  Linux is
>where Windows was in the early 80's. Unlike Microsoft there is no one
>Linux Distro and Linux is Open source so anyone can use it add to it all
>you need to do is document it and share it.  I am working on my Red hat
>certification and I will look at Novell as well. We all need to do what
>is in our best interest.  And also OS-X is Unix BSD Unix even Apple
>understands UNIX in whatever form is still one of THE best OS's ever made.
>

>I use both on my computer and OS9 on my Coco's.  It works for me.
>
>--
>Basil Fitze
>basilf at telus.net
>My website: http://bcomco.net
>Earn a Laptop for just $5.00 click the link to findout how
>http://www.ezlaptop.com/register.php?ref=940
>

>Brought to you by the 6809, the 6803 and their cousins!
>Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links