[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Is this a discussion about a new Coco?

j_e_daggett j_e_daggett at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 12:50:25 EDT 2005

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "James Diffendaffer"
<jdiffendaffer at y...> wrote:

> BTW, nobody here mentioned FCC testing as an expense.  You'd be
> surprised how much like an antenna a circuit board can be.  It's part
> of the reason why I won't produce a commercial product for the CoCo.
> Unless things have gotten much better for testing,

********

Against my own better judgement, I am jumping in on this.

First off I am well aware of compliance to Part 15 of the FCC for
computing devices. Spent many hours on an open antenna range and in
anachoic chambers testing emmisions. I am also ware of the expenses
involved with testing.

FCC over five yrs so started moving over to self certification. That
is the FCC is no longer doing tests. They require the manufacture to
do teh test and supply them, FCC, with data. They do spot checks and
if you fail there is a masive fine and all product must stop shipping
until the problem is corrected. And yes I am very aware of how much a
PCB can radiate. I am also very well aware of what the equiptment
needed to test will cost.  You can figure $2500 easily to have a board
tested at a lab. If you decided to do the testing yourself, well you
need an anachoic chamber with at least 100dB of isolation and capable
of measureing frequencies to 10 GHz. All in all about $70,000 for the
Test equipment and at least three that for the anachoic chamber.

There are some methods now to approxiamte in the lab to see if you are
close to emmision limits. These are good to use untill youare  readign
to plunck down the cash to go to a certified testing facilities. If
you do proper board layout at the speeds the Coco runs at there is
little chance of getting into major issues.

james daggett

Yahoo! Groups Links