[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Is this a discussion about a new Coco?

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 00:17:12 EDT 2005

> As others have, I encourage you to put your money where your mouth (and
> typing fingers) are.  You've thrown around some pretty impressive
> credentials around in your last post, at the expense of Cloud-9 I might
> add.

At the expense of Cloud-9.  Well, let's see... I expressed my opinion
and said I wouldn't buy it at that price.  I got jumped on by a rather
rude person who is accusing me of not having a clue and being a troll.
I was about as polite as I could stand to be in response.

Pretty impressive credentials?  AIR?  I wouldn't say that... it was
more like partnership horror stories... but I do understand what's
involved in manufacturing a product and what electronic parts should
cost.

BTW, nobody here mentioned FCC testing as an expense.  You'd be
surprised how much like an antenna a circuit board can be.  It's part
of the reason why I won't produce a commercial product for the CoCo.
Unless things have gotten much better for testing, it costs more to
test one product than you'll make on the CoCo market for all your
projects... and if you fail you have to redesign, submit again, pay
again and wait again for approval.  Restrictions may not be as bad
now.  I will say the fine was pretty nasty if you don't have FCC
approval and your product can't pass testing.

FWIW you can find an "AIR Drive" for sale on ebay every now and then
and searching on it and Amiga should bring up a few hits on google.  I
saved a picture of a NOS AIR Drive that showed up on ebay a month or
so ago for old times sake.  I thought about buying it... but I thought
it was too expensive too. :D

If you'd like a commented disassembly of the latest Amiga exec that I
made I think the amount of reverse engineering on that should be
enough to prove I'm not just blowing smoke.  I only gave it to one
person and he was using it to port it to the Coldfire CPU.  You can
find an old exec on Aminet but not this.

> So be my guest; produce some competing hardware, be it something
> akin to the SuperBoard or the SuperIDE.  Sell it at the price that you
> have proposed.  Include the support software, manuals, media, etc.  If

Like I said, I have no interest in SELLING anything for the CoCo at
this point in time.  I just like to play around with hardware whenever
I'm not on a programming contract.  If I finish the USB/IDE board
people are welcome to it.  If I get proto boards made the extras will
show up on ebay.

> you're going to cry foul from the cheap seats, then get out of the
> stands, come on the field, and let's play some football.
> --
> Boisy G. Pitre
> E-Mail: boisy at b...
> Mobile: (337) 781-3997