[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Is this a discussion about a new Coco?

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Mon Apr 18 22:50:09 EDT 2005

Boisy G. Pitre wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2005, at 7:32 PM, James Diffendaffer wrote:
>
>>Look, you may be charging a reasonable amount based on your design...
>>but that doesn't mean you didn't overdesign it.
>>It's a CoCo... if I want to build a web server, web browser or
>>whatever... I can do so with a PC for under $400 (just built a 2.4GHz
>>512MB PC for my parents for that) and it will be far better at it than
>>the CoCo ever will.  So... why use a $65 chip???  This computer only
>>has a max of 2MB RAM... Just how much can you do with it???  Web
>>browsing can involve larger web pages than that!  Ask yourself... does
>>this make sense????  Does the superboard include a chip to
>>decompress/scale JPEGs and GIF files too?
>>I can see sending and receiving email, browsing with Lynx and stuff
>>like that.  But those are very simple and with the source code out
>>there it probably makes more sense to write it on OS-9.

I have used Os-9 with both the ISP and the soft stack TCP/IP stack, of
course on OSK.  I would love to get my AT306 running OS-9(K) ISP or soft
stack, but it is not going to happen.  The hardware is cheap the
Software is not priced for the hobbyist.  (I believe Radsys should PD
ISP, it's old and unsupported...my opinion :) )  Anyways the nature of
OS-9, the ISP software didn't just add a module and a driver along with
Telnet and FTP.   Login had to be updated and a few other programs.  NFS
was a separate program, Actually 2, 1 client and 1 host. copy and Dir
had to be updated.  As the OS-9 system has to fit in 1 64K bank On the
Coco, I do not know how one can have the power of OS-9 and add a full
TCP/IP stack.  On would have to do an external TCP/IP stack.

If one would price out a TCP/IP modem, which is basically what mark is
doing.  A modem that handles the IP stack and connects serial to a
legacy computer. Cost $200+, So if Mark sells the Ethernet for less than
$200, it's a savings.

Oh~ if anybody wants to write a IP Stack and drivers for the AT306 using
one of those $10.00 cards go ahead.....please.

> You are again interjecting an opinion, and you have every right to have
> it.  But whether or not the SuperBoard or SuperIDE is over-designed is
> a matter of perspective.  The designs of our products were driven
> partially by what Mark and I wanted to see in them, and partly by what
> others in the market wanted.  As Mark pointed out, they sell, and sales
> are increasing.  That sounds like we're doing something right, not
> wrong.
>

>>I think it's great if you guys can make some money on the CoCo market
>>and at a hobby at that.  It's nice to see someone supporting the
>>machine.  But I don't see spending that much on a hobby just so I can
>>say "look what my CoCo can do".  That's just my opinion.
>

> Understood.  It's a minority opinion here, and the market bears that
> out.
>
> Mark and I honestly do appreciate the support and business that we get
> from customers who use the CoCo.  Every purchase is a vote of
> confidence in our products and our ability to produce them.  And each
> year, that vote has increased in number, as evidenced by the growth of
> sales.  There are CoCo users who haven't purchased a single dime, and
> that's certainly within their purview.  I just happen to be partial to
> those who have bought our hardware and software.  And while the others
> who haven't may feel the way you do, but they haven't voiced it
> publicly on an open list.  That's because I believe they want us to
> succeed.

I have not bought anything, but did pre-order a superboard.  Since that
time, my finances (job) has been ripped from under me. So I who really
want the IDE/SCSI and the Ethernet am happy that I don't have to buy
them all at once.   Of course I would like USB, only if I could run
floppies and Hard drives off it.

Of course I could just buy a Commadore one add a 6809 CPU as stated on
it's web site....What for....Boisy want to port Nitros-9 to it and make
it a Coco-4. $350 + $50 PS/Case + $50+/- Harddrive + $20 floppy + 20
Keyboard and mouse....$500.00...one could buy a low-end sempron 2300+
for that....We CoConuts, go figure.

> Boisy G. Pitre
> E-Mail: boisy at boisypitre.com
> Mobile: (337) 781-3997