[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Is this a discussion about a new Coco?

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 14:31:26 EDT 2005

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "j_e_daggett" <j_e_daggett at y...>
wrote:

> --- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "James Diffendaffer"
> <jdiffendaffer at y...> wrote:

> > Unless things have gotten much better for testing,
> Against my own better judgement, I am jumping in on this.

No worry.  I don't have any problem with someone posting facts.  For
that matter I don't have a problem with people posting opinions...
personal attacks... not cool.

> FCC over five yrs so started moving over to self certification. That
> is the FCC is no longer doing tests. They require the manufacture to
> do teh test and supply them, FCC, with data.

That is the smartest thing they've ever done.  I think the minimum
wait time I heard of back in the 80s was something like 10 months for
an FCC test.  I also heard longer.  We did not get anything FCC tested
because of that and the expense.

> I am also very well aware of what the equiptment
> needed to test will cost.  You can figure $2500 easily to have a board
> tested at a lab.

That is way cheaper than what we were quoted.  There must be more
competition now and the change to the approval process probably helped.

Any idea how much you have to pay the FCC for an approval these days?
Just curious.

> to plunck down the cash to go to a certified testing facilities. If
> you do proper board layout at the speeds the Coco runs at there is
> little chance of getting into major issues.

Well, I'm a software engineer that knows dit about analog and RF.
Digital logic I can handle.

I do remember if you don't have the shielding to an external Amiga
drive properly grounded you can hear noise on an AM/FM radio a good 15
ft or more away.  Especially when the length of  the cable was about
the length of an AIR drive cable.
Anyone with an AIR drive can verify this if they want... NONE of the
AIR drives have the cable shielding attached to ground.

Yahoo! Groups Links