[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Re: USB Anyone?

Phill Harvey-Smith dragon at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 16 13:00:59 EDT 2005

James Diffendaffer wrote:

> I was more interested in designing something that wouldn't require a
> device programmer or surface mount components.  Easy for a hobbyist.

Well the Xilinx CPLDs are in circuit programmable, you need a programmer
that hangs off a PC paralell port and can be made fairly cheaply with
apropreate connectors and an 74HC buffer chip. Also the software to
program them is a free download. They are also available in PLCC, so can
be down without surface mount.

Problem is is the USB chip available in anything but surface mount ?

> I'm pretty sure I can squeeze it in a standard ROM pack.  I can always
> use a jumper wire or two to keep it on a 2 layer board... but I don't
> think I'll need it.

A trick I have used to help with this is if using DIP ICs, use turned
pin sockets as they can be soldered both sides of the board.

Phill.

Yahoo! Groups Links