[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: USB Anyone?

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Sat Apr 16 13:25:49 EDT 2005

On 16-Apr-05, at 1:00 PM, Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:

> Well the Xilinx CPLDs are in circuit programmable, you need a
> programmer
> that hangs off a PC paralell port and can be made fairly cheaply with
> apropreate connectors and an 74HC buffer chip. Also the software to
> program them is a free download. They are also available in PLCC, so
> can
> be down without surface mount.

I've been wanting to get into CPLD programming. What kind of software
works well, and what would my startup costs be? What can I do for free
or very cheap? What do I *need* to buy? What are my options,
software-wise, on Windows XP?

> Problem is is the USB chip available in anything but surface mount ?

If it isn't, that takes it out of some hobbyists' range. I have enough
trouble soldering through-hole components. :) although, I imagine, if
you have the right equipment surface mount can be much easier. Just
bake to board, with all surface mount components in place, from what
I've heard. I guess it'd be difficult to do both sides, though, if your
design calls for it.

James

Yahoo! Groups Links