[Coco] CoCo Progression...

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at optushome.com.au
Sat Sep 25 21:00:03 EDT 2004

David Gacke wrote:

> One of the ways I see the CoCo could advance is via a hybrid emulator
> perhaps.  Emulate the CPU with a small ARM or something, then attach an
> FPGA to act like the REAL hardware in the rest of the system, instead of
> trying to emulate it all. This way you could keep the boot time down, it
> would be fast, since there's real hardware there and it's not being
> emulated, plus the wish list of features like USB, etc. could actually be
> implemented.

I don't see why you'd need to emulate the CPU outside the FPGA - today's
FPGAs have more than enough resources to emulate the entire CoCo on-chip.

The biggest impediment I can see to adding 'modern' devices is not so much
the physical interfacing, but the software - devices need device drivers. At
the risk of repeating myself ad-nauseum, I can't see USB *hosting* as being
a viable option. The only possibility here would be to use a one-chip
solution on-board and then use that as a basis to emulate, say, a CoCo disk
drive. Then you could plug a 256MB USB flash stick into the CoCo...

Regards,