[Coco] CoCo Progression...

David Gacke dgacke at ektarion.com
Sat Sep 25 11:46:30 EDT 2004

It think Bob has touched on one of the key reasons of why I like my
CoCo. It comes on in a few seconds.

To be honest, I don't like Nitros/OS-9 that much because it's too much
like my REAL computer.

The CoCo was my "toy" when I was a kid. To be honest, I'd like it to
stay my "toy." I "play" with it. I don't use it for real work. Work is
no fun. I have other tools for that.

One of the ways I see the CoCo could advance is via a hybrid emulator
perhaps.  Emulate the CPU with a small ARM or something, then attach an
FPGA to act like the REAL hardware in the rest of the system, instead of
trying to emulate it all. This way you could keep the boot time down, it
would be fast, since there's real hardware there and it's not being
emulated, plus the wish list of features like USB, etc. could actually
be implemented.

I've been looking at this board for the task, but for me it's a matter
of "Too many projects and not enough time." Already.

Anyway, check out http://www.armoid.com for a neat little board.

With this attached to an IO board, you should be able to do the job.

Dave