[Coco] CoCo Progression...

David Gacke dgacke at ektarion.com
Sat Sep 25 21:49:01 EDT 2004

The reason I suggest moving the CPU outside and leaving the rest inside
are two-fold.

First, it's costly to put the core inside. The current open source 6809
version takes 300k gates by itself. This costs much more than an ARM
that's capable of emulating it.

Second, it's much easier to breathe new life into a possible CoCo 4
design by moving to a newer CPU, like an ARM. This gives you readily
available development tools like GCC and linux, not to mention many
other open source projects. But those aren't even necessary.

Anyway, to host USB it's not so bad. You can use a part like this one to
do it.

http://www.okisemi.com/jp/english/usb-hos1.htm

Finally, if you had a faster 6809 you'd still have no new software to
run on it and the old stuff wouldn't work either, plus a 64k segmented
memory architecture still and no modern development tools as an added
bonus!  ;)

Dave