[Coco] [Color Computer] Hard Drive sizes

James C. Hrubik, Sr. jimhrubik at earthlink.net
Sun May 16 21:06:30 EDT 2004

I don't think it's worth losing sleep over, as long as you maintain a
backup somewhere.  I've been using the same 8MB card in my DC240 since
1999 -- fill it up almost daily and then clear it and refill it again
-- and aside from some minor crashes that required reformatting, it's
still going strong.  Like Robert noted, there may be an issue with
retaining stuff in the space; after a fresh reformat I can take 54
shots and once I delete them and go to shoot again, I get only 53.

On Sunday, May 16, 2004, at 08:57  AM, Robert Sherwood wrote in reply
to Stan Blazejewski:

> I have a 128MB card I use as extra storage in my old laptop.  It
> undergoes several dozen writes and reads daily and gets filled
> completely once or twice when used to backup files about once a week
> or so.  I've had it since October 2002 and haven't had any problems
> with data loss yet.
>
> The only problem I've encountered at all is sometimes when the card
> gets near full, the space is not freed when removing files from the
> card (ie:  the directory is empty, but the FAT isnt cleared).  I
> consider this to be a nearly insignificant problem which is solved
> with a quick format.
>
> According to previous discussion on this list, card life is generally
> rated at anywhere from a few 100,000 to several million read/write
> cycles (depending primarily on the maker).  What's not clear to me, is
> would that be per card or per bit?  It makes a big difference.
>
> Oddly enough, when I bought this card, there was no mention of
> lifetime anywhere in the minimal documentation at all.
>
> --Rob
>

> At 09:27 PM 5/16/04 +1000, you wrote:
>
>> On a slightly different note, does anyone know how long a CF card will
>> last?  I know they are a 'consumable item' .... (digital camera manual
>> quote) "the memory card can be used for a long period of time, but
>> will eventually loose it's ability store & playback data.  At this
>> point, replace with a new memory card".
>

> ---

| O thus be it ever, when free men shall stand                |
| Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!         |
| Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heaven-rescued land   |
| Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a Nation!  |
| Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just;            |
| And this be our motto: "In GOD is our trust!"               |
| And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave          |
| O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.        |
==========National Anthem, United States of America============