[Coco] [Color Computer] Hard Drive sizes

Robert Sherwood photorob00 at yahoo.com
Sun May 16 08:57:35 EDT 2004

I have a 128MB card I use as extra storage in my old laptop.  It undergoes
several dozen writes and reads daily and gets filled completely once or
twice when used to backup files about once a week or so.  I've had it since
October 2002 and haven't had any problems with data loss yet.

The only problem I've encountered at all is sometimes when the card gets
near full, the space is not freed when removing files from the card
(ie:  the directory is empty, but the FAT isnt cleared).  I consider this
to be a nearly insignificant problem which is solved with a quick format.

According to previous discussion on this list, card life is generally rated
at anywhere from a few 100,000 to several million read/write cycles
(depending primarily on the maker).  What's not clear to me, is would that
be per card or per bit?  It makes a big difference.

Oddly enough, when I bought this card, there was no mention of lifetime
anywhere in the minimal documentation at all.

--Rob