[Coco] [Color Computer] Hard Drive sizes

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Thu May 13 14:17:15 EDT 2004

On May 13, 2004, at 12:10 PM, Allen Huffman wrote:

> Q: On CoCo, how fast is CF compared to a real HD? CF still faster than
> CoCo? Megaread speed?

Comparing apples to apples, I'm seeing comparable IDE hard drive and CF
speeds, especially on reads.  Using the Super Drivers, which are still
under development, I'm getting 18 second megareads on a CF under
NitrOS-9/6309 Level 2.  I've seen better numbers on some SCSI drives,
but the 18 seconds possibly reflects the way in which Super Drivers is
handling caching.  All in all, I'm pleased to have an 18 second
megaread, all things considered.

CF writes are fast too, depending upon the "x" factor.  Some CFs claim
a 4x or 8x write speed.  I think a hard drive would be faster on writes
due to caching and the amount of extra time it takes to flip a sector
of flash.

> Q2: I note "faster" CF - like 2x, etc. Does it matter on a CoCo?

I'm not sure.  I'm using a 4x 64MB Lexar with success, but have nothing
that is rated "faster" to compare it to.  The worst that can happen is
that the CoCo will have to wait a bit until the CF finishes writing a
sector before clearing the BUSY bit, then the CoCo can start flooding
the channel with data again.

Boisy