[Coco] RomPack

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Wed Jul 21 22:46:00 EDT 2004

To add to my previous response:  Yes, it would have come with both an Ext.
ADOS-3 driver and (on the same disk) an OS-9 driver.  And yes, with this
driver installed in the EADOS3 EPROM, the clock is used both to display
the date and time at startup and for to put the date/time of creation in
the directory entry for saved files.

As someone mentioned, most people used the Smartwatch directly in the disk
controller, piggybacked with the disk ROM, but I also offered it in a
Rompack to be used in the MPI for folks who either couldn't get the disk
controller's cover on with the piggybacked clock (I recommended cutting a
hole in the cover in this case as another alternative), or who had a
controller with a 24-pin socket that could not readily accommodate both
the 28-pin clock and the 28-pin EADOS3 EPROM.  (I sold a 28-to-24 pin
adapter, but the clock's leg's were too rigid to be bent outward to fit
into alternate holes as the adapter required.  You could use the clock
under OS-9 without an adapter by letting 4 pins hang off the end of the
socket, I believe.)

Art