[Coco] RomPack

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jul 21 23:48:35 EDT 2004

Arthur Flexser wrote:

> To add to my previous response:  Yes, it would have come with both an Ext.
> ADOS-3 driver and (on the same disk) an OS-9 driver.  And yes, with this
> driver installed in the EADOS3 EPROM, the clock is used both to display
> the date and time at startup and for to put the date/time of creation in
> the directory entry for saved files.
>
> As someone mentioned, most people used the Smartwatch directly in the disk
> controller, piggybacked with the disk ROM, but I also offered it in a
> Rompack to be used in the MPI for folks who either couldn't get the disk
> controller's cover on with the piggybacked clock (I recommended cutting a
> hole in the cover in this case as another alternative), or who had a
> controller with a 24-pin socket that could not readily accommodate both
> the 28-pin clock and the 28-pin EADOS3 EPROM.  (I sold a 28-to-24 pin
> adapter, but the clock's leg's were too rigid to be bent outward to fit
> into alternate holes as the adapter required.  You could use the clock
> under OS-9 without an adapter by letting 4 pins hang off the end of the
> socket, I believe.)
>
> Art
It is easy to install the 28 pin clock socket into a disk controller 24
pin socket and use a 28 pin EPROM. At least it is electrically easy but
getting the cover back on was difficult.

Let the clock pins 1,2,27, and 28 hang over the front of the 24 pin
socket. All other pins are inserted. Now take some very thin wire and
connect the watch socket pins 26 and 28 by inserting the short piece of
wire into the pin holes. Finally insert the 28 pin EPROM.

If you use the original 24 pin PROM, no wire is needed.