[Coco] Re: Re: Help with ms-dos DSKINI please

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jul 20 13:28:55 EDT 2004

Charlie wrote:
> So, my final question to all that I've learned trying to make this lsl.dsk
> for my coco.....
>
> If you make JVC type DSK files with MESS, they can not be made to a real
> floppy with dskini?
>
> That was the 1st thing I tried last night. I did the dsave to a JVC type dsk
> and used dskini to write it but it did not work. Thats why I had to do the
> whole copy an .os9 disk and format it thing.
>
> Thanks again.
> Charlie

Lets define some terms for the sake of this discussion only. A .dsk
image without a header and an integral number of sectors to make up a
full disk will be nameless. A .dsk image with a JVC header will be
called a JVC disk image. An .os9 image without a header is a MESS OS-9 disk.

If you use MESS from within the emulation to create a disk, select JVC
type, and also make it a default single sided 35 track disk, the image
will be a nameless type without a header. This disk can be formatted
under OS-9 and dskini.exe will can convert it to a single sided real floppy.

If you ask MESS to create as above a 40t double sided .dsk image, the
image will have a two byte header, can be formatted by OS-9, but can't
be converted to a /t40 /d disk by dskini.exe. The problem is the extra
two bytes.

If you ask MESS to create as above an .os9 image, it won't be correctly
created regards size or name.

So if you want to create an image with MESS from the emulation that is a
/t40 /d disk, you will eventually need to be able to remove the header
bytes before using dskini.

You are supposed to be able to create images using the MESS tool
"imgtool" independent of emulation. However, the version with .83 will
not create any os9 disks for me.