[Coco] Re: Weather

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 30 17:41:35 EST 2004

On Friday 30 January 2004 09:34, William Astle wrote:
>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Well, as long as the stove keeps the pipes and feet thawed out, I
>> suspect you'll survive just fine, but just like the rest of us,
>> will reserve the right to bitch about the weather. :)
>>
>> Are you anywhere near some decent ice-fishing water?  Fresh hunks
>> of a 30 lb big mac might taste pretty good about now.
>
>Hmmm. I'm not sure the heating system in my apartment building is
> keeping the pipes thawed. We had one burst this morning and the
> heat's been keeping the building just a few degrees above freezing
> for the better part of a week. Stupid burst pipe triggered a fire
> alarm an hour before I had to get up and I was all comfortable
> rolled up in my blanket.

That doesn't paint a very enticing picture.  Apartment buildings
usually get maintained just well enough to keep them at about 75%
occupancy.  Are there not any regulatory authorities you could
complain too?

>As far as ice fishing, it's not too likely in these parts (Calgary
> area). The rivers haven't completely frozen and there aren't too
> many good lakes around. Not to mention we've been runing with
> daytime highs above freezing right up until this current weather
> system got going. Our snow was just about gone when the cold
> weather came.

Now that sounds halfway balmy, almost like here in WV, till now...

>On the positive side, sunrise has finally gotten earlier than my
> trek to work and sunset later than my trek home. (Sunrise at 8:15AM
> and sunset at 5:25PM)

The day isn't quite that short here, 38th parallel, and of course is
now getting longer.  It keeps me busy modifyng the timing of the
outdoor lights that I control with heyu, extend, and a cm-11a
connecting the computer to the powerline.  I came back in a couple of
weeks ago from my friday nite/sat morning tour of the transmitter, to
find I'd left it doing the night to day control transition still set
for summertime hours of about 5AM, so the motion detector (an eagle
eye X10 unit) did not turn on the lights as I approached the front
door at 6:15AM.  The keyslot is hard to find in the dark. :)

I normally have it set to run the porch lights from about sundown till
about 8:30, and then switch to nightwatch mode where it turns the
whole system into a motion detector, and dings a couple of chimes in
the house if its triggered in addition to turning on the lights for a
couple of minutes.

Between that, and the sign in the front window thats says "never mind
the dog, beware of the owner" with a big picture of the business end
of a revolver as decoration, we aren't bothered much.  Pretty decent
neighborhood around here, with several improvements as they've come
and gone over the last 15 years.  Most of us are hunters and
sportsmen these days, so a sign that says the place is "Insured by
Smith and Wesson" isn't the least out of place.

I have a sign in the back window of my pickup that cautions that the
driver only carries $20... in ammunition.  Its a good conversation
starter since I heartily promote everyone who asks about it to go and
get a CWP.  Thats now a guaranteed personal freedom in 32 states,
with more working out the details every year in fear of the feds and
their gun grabbing ways.  The last holdouts will of course be the
State of Noo Yawk, and the Federal Democratic (not) Republic of
Kalifornia. At some point, I suspect they'll understand that they're
outnumberd and the pendulum will swing back toward more personal
freedoms again.  The first signs will be Schumer and Feinstien losing
their seats.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,