[coco] A couple of PC hardware questions

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Wed Jan 21 00:09:31 EST 2004

peak at mail.polarcomm.com wrote:
> Dave
> Thanks for the info about cyberguys.
> A load resistor would be great for testing but once you have
> enough coco drives connected you no longer need the heat
> generator(ha ha). I used an old MFM drive as a load for two
> reasons:
> 1 I already had some laying around.
> 2 The connector on those is made to plug into a PC power
> supply.
> Eric
> Hardware Hacker

The load resistor plugs into a PC Power supply and is mountable, it is
designed for PC Cases without motherboards.  Of course my "external hard
drive" case is a old SCSI 6 port backplane that was heading for the
trash connected to an AT Power supply.   It is ugly and noisy, but it's
in the cellar office connected to my Linux box.  5 2GB drives using LVM
to act as 1 20GB drive.  It works and it was Free...plus it was fun
playing around with LVM under Linux and at first the Soft RAID that was
built into Linux.

~David Hazelton