[coco] A couple of PC hardware questions

peak at mail.polarcomm.com peak at mail.polarcomm.com
Tue Jan 20 11:16:13 EST 2004

Ray
I have re-packed my coco3 into a case using an ATX power
supply! There were some difficulties.
An ATX power supply has some special features because it is
Turned on by the computer motherboard and not by the front
powers switch on the computer. ----WHY??---
Vsb is +5volts which is always on provided that the rocker
switch on the back of the power supply is on and the power
cord is plugged in. (Voltage Stand By).
VSB is used by the motherboard to turn on the computers power
supply depending on certain conditions.
One of those conditions is that the operator presses the on
switch on the front of the computer.
Another condition is that there is a suficient load on the
power supply.
To turn on an ATX supply try this:
Connect an old MFM hard drive to the supply.(load)
Connect the ATX "PS-ON" wire to ground.
Check to see if it turns on.
Eric