[coco] A couple of PC hardware questions

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Tue Jan 20 11:53:11 EST 2004

peak at mail.polarcomm.com wrote:

> Ray
> I have re-packed my coco3 into a case using an ATX power
> supply! There were some difficulties.
> An ATX power supply has some special features because it is
> Turned on by the computer motherboard and not by the front
> powers switch on the computer. ----WHY??---
> Vsb is +5volts which is always on provided that the rocker
> switch on the back of the power supply is on and the power
> cord is plugged in. (Voltage Stand By).
> VSB is used by the motherboard to turn on the computers power
> supply depending on certain conditions.
> One of those conditions is that the operator presses the on
> switch on the front of the computer.
> Another condition is that there is a suficient load on the
> power supply.
> To turn on an ATX supply try this:
> Connect an old MFM hard drive to the supply.(load)
> Connect the ATX "PS-ON" wire to ground.
> Check to see if it turns on.
> Eric

I believe www.cyberguys.com has a "ATX to AT Conversion Cable" and
"Switch for ATX to AT Conversion Cable"  to use ATX power supplies in
older AT computers.  Also I believe that they have a "Power Supply Load
Resistor" that does what your MFM drive test does, just neater and less
noise.

Also they have neat items, like "USB Coffee warmers" and "Fan Cooling
mice" for those real programmers

(Not an endorsement of Cyberguys, just I get their catalog and have
bought items from them, that I have not seen else where. )

~David Hazelton