[Coco] To the "6809 beginner"

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Mon Jan 19 20:36:03 EST 2004

At 10:59 AM 1/19/2004 -0800, you wrote:
Gene, Theadore, and Robert:

>As a newbie trying to learn, I appreciate the comments initially made and
>the help provided.  I also understand that discussioins can "evolve,"
>especially between more experienced users and while a lot of what is said
>does go over my head, I do save the messages for later reference.
>
>To keep the exchange of information flowing on this list, may I suggest
>that when the discussion on a thread originally started by a newbie or for
>the benefit of a newbie, moves to more experienced topics, that the
>Subject be modified somewhat to reflect that?  It's just a suggestion :)
>
>There is a lot of good information being posted to the list, and while I
>can't speak for all the newbies, I do get a little overwelmed trying to go
>through it all, and this in turn leads to a little frustration because I
>am speading more time time reading emails and less time programming.
>
>One question that did not get answered is, what is the difference in
>starting EDTASM+ on a CoCo 3 compared to a CoCo 2?  Also, has anyone out
>there ever used the 6809 trainer from CIE?

I agree.

If computing formulas and complex operations with the 6809 is so easy, then
we wouldn't have any newbies asking for tips.  I think it's very tempting
for some to jump right in and demonstrate that 1) they're not newbies and
2) what they know how to do, and so far this has twisted the whole thing to
where a newbie might think that the examples given are the minimum of what
is required to start learning the 6809.  That's not so.  You need to start
first with learning what the CPU registers are and what purposes they
serve.  If you already know that, then a step up would be nice, instead of
jumping right into the last chapter of the book, so to speak.

I think in our talkative group, a newbie could get better results by asking
a question that has him/her stumped and then comparing the responses but
not adding to a forked side-topic that branches off as an argument from two
or more advanced programmers who don't agree on some of the answers.  In
other words, spend more time at the keyboard experimenting.  The hands-on
trial-and-error process is your best friend.

I also think that the outcome of an example is more important than the
style of programming.  Everybody has their own style.  To be normal, you
will need your own style, too.  Your style will just happen, trust me.   So
try not to get caught up in arguments from advanced programmers who have
other interests in mind than helping you learn how to start writing 6809
programs.

Just my 2 cents.