[Coco] 6809 example

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 19 15:26:24 EST 2004

jimcox at miba51.com wrote:
><snip>
> One question that did not get answered is, what is the difference in
> starting EDTASM+ on a CoCo 3 compared to a CoCo 2?  Also, has anyone out
> there ever used the 6809 trainer from CIE?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim

There are four distinct versions of EDTASM+ and I can't remember you
saying which you use; EDTASM+ pak (cassette based program), SuperPatched
EDTASM+ pak (a Rainbow program by Roger Schrag that converts pak to a
disk only version; no longer runs from ROM pak), Disk EDTASM+ (by Tandy
for disk and tape, 32 column screen), EDTASM6309 ( my for sale patch for
Disk EDTASM; many enhancements).

I don't recall if the ROM pak is self starting. If not, then there will
be differences in use between a Coco3 an older models. Paks are started
on most units with an EXEC&HC000 unless self starting. The Coco3
requires Paks be started with EXEC&HE010 to compensate for changes in
the Coco3 hardware.

Schrag's version should be started on a Coco3 from the 32 column screen
with a LOADM and EXEC. As written it won't work from a 40 or 80 column
screen.

The Tandy disk version needs some patches to the DOS.BAS program to
operate in 40 or 80 column screens and should be started from a 32
column screen. Do a web search for information on using this version on
40 and 80 column screens.

My EDTASM6309 will self select a 32 or 80 column screen based on the
model Coco that runs the program. A Coco3 owner can toggle between the
40 and 80 column screens at will. If you want to use the options built
into the DOS.BAS loader, you should switch to 32 columns before use but
if you configure the loader to auto start EDTASM, switching screens is
not necessary.