[coco] A couple of PC hardware questions

Ray Watts rayanddoraleew at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 17 23:16:35 EST 2004

Bob Emery wrote:

>This is from memory, don't take this as gospel. For the gospel, search
>Google. Basically there is a +5V line (probably the one that you
>mention) that stays active when the computer is OFF. ISTR it's usually
>a grey wire and you momentarily short it to ground to get the PS to
>turn on. You MUST have a load attached! at least an IDE drive or
>something before it will even come on. I don't think the CoCo itself is
>enough of a load to run safely, but add a couple of drives and no
>problem.

Thanks, Bob.  I really should search Google, but I get never seem ask
the right questions and get frustrated  wading through the crap.  I've
been going through a similar situation as a Mac owner who installed
Virtual PC with Windows 2000 Pro.  For me, trying to learn the new
system is like learning a new language.  A pox on both Steve's and
Bill's houses.

>I look forward to hearing how it goes, as I have a portable CoCo3 with
>internal floppy (hoping to add HD soon) that runs off a 12V lighter
>socket. :-)
>
>Cheers,
>Bob

As I mentioned in my original request, I already have the Grizzly CoCo
for nearly 10 years.  It began as a  3 3.5" FD with remote CoCo keyboard
with a 65W PS slightly smaller than the one I saw in Jameco.  Kept
adding everything but the kitchen sink until I got to the ZIP drive.
 The PS just did not have enough poop for an internal ZIP.  The 150W
supply in Jameco is about 1.5" longer, but there is plenty of space
along that side for it and the bunching up of its cables.

I am interested in how you did the portable ... especially the display.
 Can you expand on it?

Griz